It is situated in the region known as “fum al-khalig”. Fum al-khalig is in north of old cairo.
The word of fum al-khalig known by al-hamra as in literally “the red one”.
During the 8th century ,it was the oldest churches in egypt.
The church was renovated in 1164 A.D. there was reconstructed for marble columns.
Today, the church was divided into many sanctuaries , nave , aisles.
His relics were kept at this church. It was transformed to the monastery of st. mena in mariut (Alexandria).
There is in this church a shrine contains a number of beautiful icons.