Closely linked to Khan el-Khalili
In the late 14th century, Sultan Barquq decided to build a complex in the coveted surroundings of the Qalawunid monuments on the famous Mo’ezz Li Din-Illah Street in Cairo. Barquq was of Circassian origins, he was acquired by the Turkish Bahri Mamluks and after regaining his freedom in 1363, he seized power over Egypt by taking advantage Sultan Al-Nassir Muhammad’s descendants’ weakness.
When visiting the complex, give a particular attention to the inauguration inscription on the building’s façade: it states the name of Jarkas el-Khalili, the founder of the Khan el-Khalili bazaar, simply because he was Barquq’s “master of the horse.”
Upon entering the vast beautiful courtyard, you will find an exquisitely designed domed structure in the middle, it is the ablution fountain. Avoid visiting the complex at prayer times, because the mosque is still used by local residents. The courtyard is surrounded by 4 iwans. At the time it was built, the complex was considered as relatively large with enough space to accommodate 125 students in addition to teacher-dedicated quarters and horse stables.