The most accessible of the Western Desert Oases, Bahariya, offers many interesting attractions and a foretaste of how life goes in an oasis. It can be reached easily from Cairo by bus.
- Bahariya’s hot springs: The widely spread hot springs in Bahariya are known to have curative properties. The 65 C waters of these natural sources help in the treatment of rheumatism, joint ailments and digestive disorders. The oasis is home to more than 10 different hot springs spread across Bawiti, Al-Qasr and Mandisha.
- Food: In the oasis’ main town, Bawiti, you’ll find a few cheap and charming restaurants to tackle your hunger. These welcoming establishments serve cold and hot drinks, additionally to the usual selection of local dishes, including roasted chicken, kebabs, ful and falafel (taameya).
- Girls Work Shop: If you're out searching for some authentic oasis handicrafts, stop at the Girls Work Shop, this store sells only “Bahariyyan” handicrafts, thus providing work for the local women.
- Black and White Desert Trips: It is easy to find a tour that will take you to the Black desert from Bahariyya, and if you’re in for camping you can take the extra time to reach the White Desert.
- 1 Ticket for All: At the ticket office of the Bahariya Museum you will purchase an entry ticket that will give you access to 5 touristic sites: the museum, the Temple of Alexander, the tomb of Banentiu, the tomb of Zed-Amun-Ef-Ankh, and Bir al-Muftella.
- You can book a safari to Bahariya from Cairo: a typical one-week journey includes Fayoum, the White Desert, Farafra and Bahariya.
- Shorter safaris to Bahariya can also be organized: departing from Cairo, you can explore the Bahariya Oasis on a 3-day trip.
- While exploring the Western Desert, stay within reach by activating the roaming service on your mobile phone. Alternatively, you can purchase an Egyptian phone line from any of the local telecom operating companies (Mobinil-Vodafone-Etisalat).
- Banks and ATM machines are available.
|Total Area : 2000 sq km||Area Code : 2||Distance to Cairo : 360 km||Distance to Farafra : 180 km|
Getting There :